SHCO_logoCoul_pt.png

Découvertes

Histoire et patrimoine Orford

La petite maison blanche d’Orford

(maison Baird-Buzzell)

 

2304, ch. du Parc Orford

 

Cette petite maison offre un parfait exemple, étonnamment bien conservé, de maison de village agroforestier de la région des cantons de l’Est. Son architecture modeste est typique de celle pratiquée dans la région, de part et d’autre de la frontière canado-américaine.


La maison et son terrain font partie du paysage du village. L’arrière du terrain, tout au fond du parc actuel, correspond à l'ancienne ligne de division des rangs XIV et XV du canton d'Orford, près de la rivière. L’histoire de cette petite maison est indissociable de celle du village de Cherry River.


La petite maison blanche d’Orford fut construite en 1896 par Arthur Knowlton, installé depuis peu au village de Cherry River. Philena Baird et Peter Buzzell furent les premiers occupants. Un fait marquant dans l’histoire de la maison tient à son occupation ininterrompue jusqu’en 1938, par des personnes présentes dès les années 1840-1860 : des Baird, Buzzell, Ryder, Aldrich, Converse. Enfants ou jeunes adultes, ces gens ont connu la colonisation, le défrichage et les maisons en bois rond. Des conjoints les ont rejoints, dont Henry Quilliams de Frost Village près de Waterloo qui a épousé Sarah Baird en 1892. Après leur décès, Sarah en 1938 et Henry en 1940, leur petite fille Betty et son mari Joseph Buzzell y habiteront avec leur fils Dale Buzzell. Ce dernier y vivra jusqu’en 2012, peu après l’acquisition de la maison par la Municipalité. Plusieurs de ces personnes reposent maintenant en paix au cimetière de Cherry River.

The Little White House of Orford (maison Baird-Buzzell)

 

2304, chemin du Parc, Orford

This Little White House is a very well-preserved example of a typical village home in the farming and lumbering areas of the Eastern Townships.  Its simple architectural characteristics are familiar both in the Townships and on the other side of the Canada-US border.

 

The history of the house is inseparable from that of Cherry River and both the building and its lot are a longstanding part of the village landscape. The back boundary of the lot is along the riverbank, at the far end of the Rivière-aux-Cerises park, on the line dividing Orford Township’s original ranges XIV and XV.

 

Arthur Knowlton, a recent arrival in Cherry River, built the house in 1896 and the first occupants were Philena Baird and Peter Buzzell. One of the most remarkable features of its history is that, until 1938, there was always someone in residence who had lived in Cherry River since at least the 1860s. They were members of the Baird, Buzzell, Ryder, Aldrich or Converse families, who as children or young adults had all witnessed the early settlement, land clearing, and log houses.  Nonetheless, sometimes a couple also included a newcomer, such as Henry Quilliams from Frost Village near Waterloo, who married Sarah Baird in 1892.  The two lived in the house during their retirement years.  Sarah died in 1938, and when Henry died in 1940 their granddaughter Betty and her husband Joseph Buzzell took over the house, living there with their son Dale.  The white house remained his home until 2012, including for a few months after the municipality had acquired it.  Most of the persons who lived for a longer or shorter time in the Little White House now repose in the Cherry River cemetery.

1/1